Saturday 23 October 2010

Those Instruction Leaflets that are In with your Tablets.

Those instructions we get with our medication, how many of us actually take them out and read them to the point that we believe every word they tell you. I must admit that I never did, well not until I accidentally took a wrong tablet the other day and realised I had taken 2 in less than an hour instead of 2 in  24 hours.

Diving quickly for the leaflet it said "If you take too many at once seek medical advice urgently". I'm sure the lady Doctor I was connected to by phone was not impressed to be woken up at 1.00am in the morning. My mind was reassured after a short discussion and in fact I did wake up in the morning.

So for these latest new tablets I decided to read the leaflet completely, won't get caught out again if I have a senior moment. Well firstly I decided that the pills must be for old people, do I really come into that category, the text was double the size of other leaflets so my magnifying glass was carefully put back in the draw.

Why on earth did I read the section "Possible Side Effects", it seems 1 in 10 could get diarrhoea, vomitting and  dizziness, 1 in 1000 could get mood swings, rapid heartbeat and change colour, 1 in 10,000 could get difficulty in breathing, confusion and swollen face. And that was only a small selection that was mentioned.

So here I am hours later sat on the loo with diarrhoea, I'm sure I've turn green like Shrek and I keep shouting at the bathroom cabinet with mood swings. God knows what will happen if I actually start taking the flipping tablets.

2 comments: